HOME

ABOUT US

LATEX ALLERGY INFO

RESTAURANTS

LATEX STORIES

SIGN THE PETITION

TELL YOUR STORY

OUR ADVOCATES

ALLERGY ASSOCIATION

CONTACT US

 

    

Latex Allergy Stories

Tell Your Latex Allergy Story


The best way for the world to understand the severity of a Latex allergy is for everyone to hear what those suffering from the allergy go through. Read the stories below written by people who suffer from allergic reactions to Latex and comments by those who advocate change.

 

Currently, 177 people have submitted stories or comments.

 

 

Next Page>

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 

Angela Conigliaro: Port saint Lucie, Florida

Allergic

I'm 34 just developed a latex allergy. Started with band-aid.Turned into blister tiny bubbles under my skin on my finger with band-aid. It turned red itchy and eventually opened into tiny cuts all over area. It got infected from not being able to wear band-aids. I saw a doctor who gave me clavamox amoxicillin. On my follow up visit my doctor used his latex gloves to grab and examine my finger which was about healed. 3 days later.As I grab my brand new cell phone and pen to look up stuff I realize exactly what happened with band-aid happened but days later after doctor grabbed my hand and finger in same exact spot with his glove I quickly treated the area after a day of gauze trying to figure this out, with cortisone. It started to help the area. However now my other hand was showing signs of red itchy spots bubbles under skin.So I grab my cell phone and stylists pen and look up more on latex allergy. I started to discover how many more products other than gloves and band-aids I had to worry about.My brand new cell phone case! My rubber grip on pens. I did see some significant factors in my research, one was common problem of having a urinary track infection about two years back I had a bad one. Doctor gave me strong med that gave me itchy skin after bathing with toxic body washes and face soaps and lotions. I switched meds and switched to all natural soaps that did stop very bad itchy skin all over...Now two years later I take strong med and I developed an even bigger reaction to laex. Just something for others to consider is what medications have been taken? And did problem occurred after or existing. Anyone else with UTI experience this? I did find that significant because that's when I developed skin rash from toxic bath soaps

 

Sandra Figueroa: Los Angles, CA

Allergic

I had been to the ER numerous times before I found out that the restaurants were poisoning me with latex. I was even diagnosed with IBS and put of disability. I had severe anxiety and panic attacks. The pain in my body was horrible. The doctors did not realize that it was due to latex allergy. They did not make the connection. One doctor wanted to prescribe anti-depressants. Now that I am careful where I eat, my health is better than last year when California restaurants started using gloves for food prep. It's scary to leave in fear of being exposed to latex from everything I eat. I fear of even dying. The last time I had a bad reaction from a restaurant, my heart was affected. I had tachycardia. It was one of the worse reactions.

 

Anna Eastman: Mason City, Iowa

Allergic

After 10 years in nursing I developed a Class 1 Latex Allergy. Always a false negative, always negative blood work, always told its anxiety. One ER physician listened and saved my life- he figured out the medication I needed so I could live. Another dermatologist figured out an oral daily medication that would help keep the reactions at bay. Despite taking over 4 years, now I am able to function and work again in the profession (albetit with limitations) I so dearly love.

 

Gina Palermo: Houston, Texas

Allergic

I have had to leave several restaurants due to the use of latex gloves in the kitchen. I also owns have food allergies due to the latex allergy from being exposed to latex so much recently. The protein in latex is similar to the protein in SEVERAL fruits and vegetables, therefore when I consume some of those foods, I have an anaphylaxis reaction. I strongly believe latex gloves need to be banned in restaurants.

 

Mary Beth Kennedy: Manassas, VA

Allergic

I developed my Type I allergy after working for 12 years in NICU and L&D. I never experienced any contact dermatitis or any "warning" signs. My first reaction was anaphylactic and every reaction I have had since is fully systemic. I immediately became unable to continue with my nursing career or enter any hospital or medical environment. This rapidly progressed to not entering any public facility at all due to the ubiquity of latex. I have ended up in the ER after exposure to the obvious things - gloves, balloons, rubber bands - but also after exposure to the lesser understood things - non-slip rug backing, elastic in clothing, licking envelope adhesive, conveyor belts in grocery stores, etc. And equally as dangerous are the cross-reactive foods (foods that have proteins so similar to the latex protein that the body mounts a full response, as if there were a latex exposure). There are currently 38 foods on the cross-reactive list, many of them hidden in many foods. Bananas, avocadoes, chestnuts, kiwi (the four worst offenders), potatoes, tomatoes, peaches (and most "pitted" fruits)...the list is long. My children like to say "if its healthy, its on the list". I have read the other stories here and suffice to say that this disease process is completely life altering. I have suffered with it for almost 20 years now and can honestly say that the ignorance of the public and the misinformation in the medical community itself has changed little, if at all.

 

Lorna Acuna: Houston, TX

Allergic

I am unfortunately extremely sensitive to latex and similar products, For instance, medical adhesive quickly eats through my skin like a severe burn. Mouth guards swell the back of my throat within a few minutes. Balloons produce a headache. And tire fumes, especially recycled ones at amusement parks and museums, cause breathing problems, vision impairment and a terrible headache very rapidly. When I eat at certain restaurants, I have immediate and severe diarrhea and abdominal distress, which I am now attributing to latex related allergens. I am also highly allergic to all ant poisoning, White Diamonds and other perfumes, which cause me to immediately loose vision, my mouth swell, etc, in a way similar to recycled tires. Raw onions ingested cause acute swelling also. I am curious about the links.

 

Joanne Halvorsen: Calgary, Alberta

Allergic

My latex allergy was caused from over exposure to balloons using them with children's programs.Just yesterday I tried to go to a party at a friends house but I couldn't even get up to the lawn, balloons were outside advertising, immediately my tongue started to swell that was my warning. It is air born with me. I will go anaphylactic and use epi pin and right to the hospital. Just to let people know, Kiwi, nutmeg,pineapple etc are very bad for the protein that is used in balloons.Most plantation fruits the outside of shell is used for balloons etc. Just go on line type in Latex - Kiwi and you will get your answer. It is very deadly for me being air born. Thank you

 

Linda Nicholas: Pontoon Beach, Illinois

Allergic

I was a Respiratory Therapist for over 20 years before I became allergic to Latex. Within 2.5 years I could not tolerate the air in the hospital. I was denied workman's comp because I didn't file as soon as the allergy started. I've been trying to get disability, but because the testing is still not reliable I have a false negative and social security views me as not allergic. When I eat somewhere where latex gloves (or other utensils containing latex) have been used it is like I have food poisoning for 12 hours and it starts nearly immediately. Rubber barrel pens caused my skin to fall off. In stores selling tires, rubber soled shoes or other rubber products it triggers asthma attacks and open sores inside my nostrils. I can't wear clothing with spandex. I'll itch and sometimes break out in hives.

 

barbie mckendree: benton, ky

Allergic

10yrs working in the dental field. Knew I was allergic to latex. But no one told me it could lead to type 1 airborne. If I had know maybe I could've prevented damage to my lung. Maybe I could leave my home. Maybe. Why isn't this taught?. Why does every Dr not believe it's real?

 

L Navarrete : San Diego , Ca

Allergic

I have recently developed the more serious type 1 reaction to latex. Since I'm a stay at home mom one of my responsibilities is to shop for groceries for the family. I have currently had problems with walking into a store where there are latex balloons are on display. Sometimes in places I wouldn't expect to see them. Or where I may not see them in advance. I have asked management in these stores multiple times to not have latex balloons on display because of the seriousness of my allergy and that I shop there regularly. My requests are not taken seriously and I will advise anybody that shops at Albertsons and/or Sprouts to be very cautious. The last thing I would ever want is to walk into some balloons that I didn't see in advance and go into anaphylactic shock and possibly die in front of my 3 young children while grocery shopping. I hope that we can make any changes so stuff like this would be prevented. Three children losing their mother to ignorance is very sad.

 

Home |Sitemap | Contact Us

Copyright 2017